The BC NDP Convention was held this year in Victoria on November 3, 4 and 5, and Vancouver-Langara was there!
|BC NDP President: Craig Keating|
It was a busy three days, with key note speeches from John Horgan, Jagmeet Singh, and others.
|Amandeep Nijjar and BC MPs introducing Jagmeet|
In his 40 minute address, Premier Horgan highlighted some of the great work he and the BC NDP government have done in the last several months, including:
- Embracing the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples;
- Ending big money in politics and reforming BC’s lobbying laws to make sure public interests, not private interests, drive government decisions;
- Holding a referendum on proportional representation in 2018 to let people decide how we elect MLAs;
- Creating a Ministry of Mental Health and Addictions to tackle the opioid crisis;
- Renewing the Human Rights Commission;
- And supporting people and businesses affected by the wildfires.
“Friends, if this is what we can do in 109 days, imagine what else we can do,” said Horgan. “Together, we can make life more affordable, build housing for people, bring in fair ferry fares and eliminate unfair MSP premiums. We’ll build hospitals and urgent care centres, make sure our kids have safe schools to learn in and deliver transit and transportation to get people moving. We’ll continue to support traditional industries like forestry and mining, and we will grow the new economy and create good jobs for people as we build up our province.”
“Together, we will build a stronger, fairer, more just province, where no one is left behind.”
|Standing room only for Jagmeet Singh.|
|Our next Prime Minister!|
|Jagmeet and MPs|
Workshops on campaign strategy and the new legislation for campaign finance reform were offered, among others.
It was a long three days of hard work along with almost 1000 delegates and observers. It was also a time to celebrate our party's victory, our movement's dedication to the future, and the selection of a new federal leader. And now, with Convention 2017 done and finished, it's time to get to work. Join us!
Photos by Jeem, with several provided by BC NDP. Text by Jim Murray.
Copyright 2017 by V-L BC NDP.